Friday, May 18, 2007

Shearing is Done

Well, shearing is done for another year. It's been a couple of very busy weeks here. We sheared everyone on the 9th of May. We have over 100 pounds of luscious freshly shorn fleece, ready to be skirted, washed and picked. CDT shots, deworming and hooves were done on the 13th as well. Next up - lambing should start in a few weeks.
This weekend, our long holiday weekend, we will work on lamb pens. Once that is done, we will have to separate the pregnant ewes from the rest of the flock.

I also got a great little gift for Mothers Day (but it arrived this week).
I got an Ashford drum carder. It arrived a few days ago, but I wasn't able to put it together until last night. I put some dyed shetland locks on and played a bit last night. I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

My plans are to keep 5 or 6 fleeces to play with on the new carder, and the rest will go to the mill and be processed into rovings for sale.

In the meantime, with all the other work on the farm, we are trying to get one of the garages cleaned out and it will be turned into a pottery and fibre studio.

Well - much is happening, so keep posted, hopefully we'll have some great lamb photos to post real soon.