Sunday, July 12, 2009

Got the Frizzles?


I said Frizzles - not Frizzies.

I have to say that these are possibly the cutest - and funniest looking chickens I have ever had.

I brought home 4 bantam cochin Frizzles in May as day old chicks. Now - Frizzle is a gene that causes the feathers to curl.

Two of the chicks are definitely displaying the
frizzles - two of the chicks are not - but will be carriers. I'm thinking that bot of these are hens - but I'm still not too sure about the white one - it might be a rooster - in any case - it's very shy.

I can't wait to play with these chicks - and do some cross breeding onto my other birds.


I might even try something like this guy:

He's a polish X frizzle bantam.

I'm still not sure whether to laugh or just feel sorry for him.

2 comments:

Thirry said...

lol i have seen some "fluffy" chicken but this last one is the funniest. The one you bought are just very cute, i just can wait to see the experiment you will make with these

Claire MW said...

TEE hee! Love them! I have a few frizzled cochins too. They make me laugh. They are certainly a delight to watch. I do think they are less cold hardy though - they may need extra warmth in winter.